The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every Third Thought

+3
Duchovny
sir
jade1013
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Every Third Thought - Page 4 Empty Re: Every Third Thought

Post by jade1013 Sat 10 Feb - 16:18

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 116930
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sat 10 Feb - 16:20

Every Third Thought - Page 4 DVtpxlTW0AEpZdt

jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sat 10 Feb - 16:22

Surfing Lyrics
Publicado em 9 de fev de 2018
jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sat 10 Feb - 16:24

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sun 11 Feb - 14:22

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny Mon 12 Feb - 6:01

thanks
Duchovny
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Number of posts : 17467
Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Tue 13 Feb - 12:10

Every Third Thought - Page 4 EveryThirdThoughtFeatured

David Duchovny’s Every Third Thought

Sit and Spin by trunkprc on February 13, 2018

Every Third Thought - Page 4 David-Duchovny-Every-Third-Thought-300x300

Artist: David Duchovny

Album: “Every Third Thought”

Label: Westbound Kyd

Reason We’re Cranking It: The truth may be out there, but the groove is in here. Duchovny delivers a sophomore album packed with straight forward, old time rock ‘n’ roll, the kind that would soothe Bob Seger’s soul.

What The Album Tells Us About Them: We have to imagine that it is not an easy road to travel being an actor-turned-musician. Haters are gonna hate, and in the age of social media, everyone has a platform to spread that hate. Being in the public eye, you have a target slapped onto your back, especially when you put yourself out there in a capacity that is unfamiliar to the audience you’ve been exposed to. To his credit, Duchovny doesn’t let the noise drown out his music, and instead, focuses on crafting his songs in a way that is honest to who he is as an artist. Haters be damned.

Track Stuck On Repeat: “Stranger in the Sacred Heart” is at its heart, an upbeat slice of Americana that offers a finger-tapping-on-the-surface-of-your-desk beat, the kind of song you’d hear playing over a montage featuring a fish out of water protagonist discovering a new city – a stranger in a strange land vibe that suggests we all need to just “let it slide.”

Coming To A City Near You: David Duchovny tour dates can be found here.

And that means…

Every Third Thought - Page 4 11logo-1024x143

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Thu 15 Feb - 14:33

David Duchovny Rocks

Fox Mulder is crushing the dad-jam scene.

By Julia Shapiro | February 15, 2018

Every Third Thought - Page 4 Chastity_duchovny_1760-880x440

We all know David Duchovny can play an FBI agent solving cases of extraterrestrial and paranormal activity, but did you know he can also rock? A few years ago, Duchovny picked up an acoustic guitar, took some singing and songwriting lessons, and decided that he was going to be a musician. I’m really into the idea of a person in their 50s starting a new hobby, especially one as daunting as music. By entering a world full of younger, more talented people, Duchovny basically set himself up for ridicule. What a daring move.

Another thing I’m really into: hobby rock. Why not jam out with your bros on the weekends? It’s not hurting anyone, and I could think of plenty of other activities a group of middle-agers could do that are much more disturbing than noodling on a six-string. Keeping all of this in mind, I don’t want to be too harsh on Duchovny. If anything, I’d like to encourage him to keep on rockin’. I would also like to apologize in advance for how many times I use the word “rockin’” in this review.

Duchovny’s second album, Every Third Thought, is well-produced, latte-sipping, hobby rock perfection. It’s the kind of music I would expect to be playing while I wait in line at Starbucks for my low-fat grande caramel macchiato – just kidding, I would never order that. But in a different reality, I would listen to this album all the way through, slowly sipping my macchiato at Seattle’s Starbucks Reserve, contemplating what the hell I am doing with my day.

The first time I attempted to listen to Every Third Thought, I got bored two songs in, so I decided to smoke some weed and revisit. It still wasn’t amazing, but I was able to get into it at least a little. The first song, “Half Life,” starts off with a real rockin’ lead guitar riff. I simply can’t deny how catchy it is. Then, in comes Duchovny’s smooth dad-voice: “Half my life by your side, through thick and thin, rain or shine.”

Duchovny’s lyrics are so cheesy and generic, it’s as if he is a machine programmed to spit out random clichés from the most common phrases used in songs throughout history. In “When the Whistle Blows,” he croons, “I can hear the bells ringing, the sky is falling down, I can hear the angels singing, just might turn me around.” I want to believe that Duchovny has a soul, but I think there’s also a good chance he is a robot from the future sent back in time to keep an eye on us all.

Or maybe he’s just being himself. Listening to him sing, I can’t help but imagine Duchovny as an actor playing a musician. Maybe this whole musician thing is just another role for him. He’s just getting into character, singing about things he thinks a musician would sing about. Most of the songs on Every Third Thought are about love and the passing of time – pretty relatable stuff. In the title track, “Every Third Thought,” these are the actual words Duchovny sings: “Why must the sky feel blue? Why must my thoughts turn into you? Now as the seasons change, why do I remain the same?” These lyrics are so clichéd, they’re essentially meaningless. Yet, I can’t help but feel emotionally moved while listening to them. The song’s got a real comforting chord progression, and there’s another rockin’ lead guitar line on it, although this time it’s more annoying than catchy.

One of the only things I know about David Duchovny’s personal life is that he sought treatment for sex addiction in 2008. So, naturally, I read deeply into all of his lyrics, looking for any connection I could find to this dark time in his life. Maybe I’d taken one too many puffs off ye olde vape pen at this point in the album, but in “Strangers in the Sacred Heart,” I swear he sings, “The strangers in their robes pay for people they don’t know,” which has to be about prostitution, right? The lyrics are so vague and obscure that it’s hard to really know.

As the record goes on, the tracks all begin to meld together into one extremely long song that repeats this general formula over and over again: guitar noodle, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, breakdown, chorus. After I’m done listening, it’s hard to get the music out of my head. The songs haunt me all day long with their pleasing predictability, and I find my brain replaying some of the worst lines: “If less is more, what are you waiting for? If more is less, well, god damn, I am blessed.”

One track which stands out as an outlier is “Someone Else’s Gal.” It has more of a ska vibe to it, with horn accompaniment and playful lyrics. Yes, it’s as painful as it sounds. Duchovny talk-sings the verse: “The birds singing up in the trees don’t just whisper sweet nothings to me, that’s all right, I’ll share, the greenest grass is always under your own ass.” Then in comes the chorus, “Someone else’s girl, la-di-da-da, someone else’s girl.” This is probably the worst song on the album, but who’s keeping score?

I know this record isn’t great, but it’s honestly better than what I expected from a 50-something actor-turned-musician who picked up a guitar seven years ago. I wonder what hobby I’ll pick up in my mid-50s – painting? Fishing? Croquet? Probably something with very low stakes. All in all, I’m proud of David.

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny Fri 16 Feb - 9:57

thanks
Duchovny
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Number of posts : 17467
Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sun 18 Feb - 4:58

Duchovny album offers honest entertainment

By Josh Forbes on February 17, 2018

Every Third Thought - Page 4 XfilesMan_ONLINE
Photo courtesy of GMG Records

Last week David Duchovny released his second studio album “Every Third Thought” — yes, that David Duchovny. Apparently the “X-Files” actor decided in 2015 to try his hand at music, and fans could be forgiven for feeling concerned.

While there are a few remarkable individuals out there who possess sufficiently well-rounded talent to be successful in both acting and music, most actors and actresses who double as musicians are pretty bad at one of the two.

In general, it is fair to say that there is simply not a strong correlation between musical and dramatic talent.

To make matters worse, Duchovny is not the kind of actor who barely chose an acting career over a promising musical one. Whereas most actors who attempt to make music do so early in their careers, Duchovny released his first album in 2015 at the ripe age of 54.

Many musicians have trouble making good music at such a late stage in their lives, even after dedicating their entire youths to musical development. For Duchovny to attempt to develop a musical career from scratch at his age, then, is at best daring and at worst a hazard to his reputation.

Most listeners will probably expect Duchovny’s music to be unoriginal. How could a man who came of age in the ‘70s innovate musically in the twenty-first century? It is probably not fair to Duchovny to dismiss his music simply because of his age, but when listening to “Every Third Thought,” it is difficult not to be reminded that the album’s artist was born seven years before
Kurt Cobain.

Perhaps this knowledge of Duchovny’s age distorts the listening experience, but “Every Third Thought” simply does not feel fresh. The sound of the songs ranges from generic nineties alternative rock to mid-2000’s pop-rock, but there is little experimentation or innovation. Still, Duchovny seems to be a surprisingly talented musician. His songs are polished and well-structured, and his voice is pleasant.

The influences that gave birth to every track on the album are easily identifiable. Duchovny is clearly influenced by Coldplay on tracks like “Stranger in the Sacred Heart.” This song is fast, upbeat and lyrics-centric, like something straight off of “A Rush of Blood to the Head” or “Viva la Vida.”

Other tracks, such as “Mo’” and “Someone Else’s Girl,” draw more on older influences with a toned-down alternative sound reminiscent of Marcy Playground and the Gin Blossoms.

Duchovny even nails the modern hard-rock sound of bands like Awolnation, Young the Giant and Imagine Dragons on the track “When the Whistle Blows,” combining a dark tone with a moderate tempo and a powerful drum beat to create a song which drives forcefully and deliberately.

Duchovny is at his best, though, when he does not seem to be trying to develop any particular sound. “Spiral” is a slow track with subtle but piercing slide guitar stabs accompanying dark, regretful, almost tormented lyrics.

The song culminates in a brief crescendo of power and force with drums and distorted guitar taking over and speeding things up, before playing out and leaving the listener with only a sad, even tragic, lingering slide guitar chord. The song is dark and beautiful and complex, and it feels as though it might have been written by Hank Moody, the deeply troubled writer Duchovny played on the show “Californication.”

The album ends on a high note with the slow, sincere farewell track “Marble Sun,” which features a melody similar to that of Procol Harum’s “A Whiter Shade of Pale” combined with Coldplay-style lyrics. The track is relaxing and touching like little else in the modern music world.

This sincerity is the strength of Duchovny’s album. The actor borrows the styles of various modern artists, but where many seem to record music with a sense of irony, Duchovny has no problem playing honestly. When he sings about broken hearts and lost love, he does not bury his feelings beneath a layer of hipster detachment. This honesty connects with the listener in a way that few modern
musicians do.

“Every Third Thought” is not innovative or fresh, but it is undeniably a good album. David Duchovny does not seem to do anything which any other artist could not, and yet it would be a great shame if the music world were forced to do without him.

Technique
jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Mon 19 Feb - 8:22

Review: David Duchovny — Every Third Thought

Wednesday, February 14th, 2018 at 6:40 PM
By Laura Lariccia

Every Third Thought - Page 4 1518654125_photosdavid%20duchovny-album

3/5

Most of you know David Duchovny from his famous role as Agent Fox Mulder on Fox’s hit tv show, "The X Files." But, unless you are a die-hard fan and/or have a massive celebrity crush on him (like me), you may not know that Duchovny has dabbled in the music industry over the past few years. In conjunction with reprising his iconic role of Mulder on the new seasons of "The X Files," Duchovny has also put out two albums in the same time frame. His most recent work is his sophomore album, “Every Third Thought.”

The album is a heartfelt composition of soft rock and emotional lyrics. While the songs are meaningful and obviously come from the heart, it is what is to be expected from an actor-turned-musician as far as poeticism and actual songwriting. The melodies are similar to each other and the songs can be hard to tell apart with a similar message, but Duchovny’s voice is soft and his actual singing voice is surprisingly nice. It sounds to me like nice driving music, or something to relax to.

“Half-Life” is a catchy song with intelligent word play. Lyrics like “Matter decays exponentially / Half-lives away dissolve eventually / It all winds up in the ground” will have you tapping your foot and humming along to the hypnotic guitar riff. It sings of a close relationship and love since lost. The whole song sounds melancholic in a sort of upbeat way that lets it get stuck in your head.

The title track, “Every Third Thought” is vaguely about missing someone and how much he thinks about them. It sounds lonely and questions why things have to change. Like “Half-Life,” it is melancholic, but that seems to be Duchovny’s trademark style. The song sounds frustrated and as if he is trying to figure out where things went wrong with someone. He questions many things in this song, like, “Why do I remain the same?” or less conventional questions like “Why must the sky feel blue?” I don’t know, David. I don’t know.

It sounds rather self-explanatory, but “Someone Else’s Girl “ is a slower song about loving a girl that’s with someone else, but wanting to be with her anyway. In the song, Duchovny sings of falling in love and trying to convince her to leave her man for him. He sings his praises of love and devotion, but also feels guilty about his new feelings for this woman instead of the one that he is with. In the end, they say “screw it” (pun intended) and ride off into the sunset.

It might not ever be on the Billboard Hot 100, but it is definitely a wonderful album that deserves a listen or two.

Stream below:

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Fri 23 Feb - 13:38

Freitag, 23. Februar 2018

David Duchovny Music - Every Third Thought

Relatively new in the music scene/music 'biz' is David Duchovny.

Among the wider public he is known for his famous acting as Fox Mulder in The X-Files or as Hank Moody in Californication. After his first album in 2015 - "Hell or Highwater" - Duchovny now released his second studio album in early February 2018. "Every Third Thought" is out now. Get the review here ;-)

Every Third Thought - Page 4 David%2BDuchovny%2BMusic
Image: David Duchovny Music

According to an article of The Rolling Stone Magazine (click), David Duchovny started playing the guitar just a few years ago to amuse himself. Who could know that this would end/continue with him being on the stage... But let's start with some interesting facts.

David William Duchovny (click for full bio) was born (1960) and raised in New York City, graduated from Princeton University, received a Masters Degree in English Literature from Yale and started his Ph.D. when he decided to try something else - the acting. While being there, at Yale, he started commuting to NY to study acting. And apparently he became famous with it, I mean, we all want to believe, right?! ;-)  In 2015, David published his first novel, "Holy Cow" (click), which [/size]directly hit the New York Times Best Sellers list, and a year after, in 2016, he has written a second novel, "Bucky F*cking Dent" (click).

And yes, his second name is William, mind-blowing, but true. Any conspiracy theories about certain characters of The X-Files?! Anyone?! ;-)

The second album of David Duchovny Music (click) - Every Third Thought - has 12 tracks, some are more calm and quiet, whereas others are labeld with the unmistakeable rock.

Here's the track list:

1. "Half Life"
2. "Every Third Thought"
3. "Maybe I Can't"
4. "Stranger in the Sacred Heart"
5. "Mo'"
6. "Someone Else's Girl"
7. "When the Whistle Blows"
8. "Spiral"
9. "Roman Coin"
10. "Jericho"
11. "Last First Time"
12. "Marble Sun"

In my very own oppinion the songs are strong in its harmonies and also the melody. Some tracks start with catchy tunes which are a really good opening. I personally like it when a song is just there, catches you with its emotions and you can't keep your feet on the ground. Moreover, I think the lyrics are really thoughtful, deep and I even could imagine that there's some autobiographic material in it. Although, that is not quite surprising to me, as David Duchovny obviously knows how to handle words and how to put meaning and emotings into a sentence - or here, into the lyrics.

The opening of "Half Life" reminds me a bit of the soundtrack of Californication, which has b.t.w. many songs of the fabulous The Rolling Stones in it. Magnet Magazine (click) asked Durchovny what the song is about and he told them that he "
[size=13]came about just thinking about radioactive half lives and how processes in nature always seem to mirror processes of the heart and soul, even down to the language. It’s a song about halves and paradoxes.” Wow, how thoughtful and smart is that... 

The opening of the song "Every Third Thought" is right where it has to be, in your soul with the power to dance and shake your body. Seems like David questions a lot about life, maybe himself (? or someone else) and thoughts in general in this song.

"Maybe I can't" is exactly what you listen to on a rainy day, with a cup of hot chocolate/tee/coffee, watching out the window and hanging in your own thoughts. "Maybe I can't, but I'll try." Don't we all do that? Try to do our best and teach them wrong who said, you can't.

The lyrics of "Stranger in the Sacred Heart" follow these deep thoughts and are the right cure including a long drive, music on its loudest volume and the window down.

"Mo'" (click here for the lyrics) is I guess my favourite of the calm songs. " [...] Everybody always wants the cream at the top. Nobody knows when to stop [...]" I really like the guitar solo as well!

"Roman Coin" again impresses with a strong opening - quick, catchy, nice guitar tunes - and good lyrics.

Finally, "Marble Sun" makes a difference with piano tunes in the beginning but also throughout the songs. It represents a perfect ending, the perfect last song on an album, good tunes for a last track.

In another life
The time has finally come
For us to say goodbye
Before our love is done

So I stepped outside
Into a marble sun
Under the cloudless sky
That I am walking on [...]"

All in all, the album "Every Third Thought" of David Duchovny is a good mixture of calm and the fast rock. It has for every situation and for every mood something. He put the best songs in the beginning, which is a smart move, and catches every listener at the point of life where they are at the moment.

The singing voice of David might take a little getting used to, but maybe it's the thing that makes the whole difference. In a world of perfect singer song-writers with a handsome outside and a strong voice, e.g. Ed Sheeran, there need to be something unique, something special, something else...

Finally, I want to say, after reading David Duchovny's bio and researching him a bit, I actually think he might be a very interesting person who has a history that I am sure is worth listening to, or reading about. He seems to be very diverse within his talents and what he likes to do.

Maybe we all should find our inspiration in what we are doing and don't conclude about who we are or want to be because of one thing we like to do when it can be so multifaceted. Thanks for that life lesson David ;-)

But everybody can make up their own thoughts and points of view.

David Duchovny is currently on tour (concert dates also here) in Australia. On his website, David Duchovny Music, you can check out if he is coming somewhere near you.

And until then, believe ;-) and keep Hank Moody's words in mind: "Here we are... at the edge of the world and all of us are so desperate to feel something, anything... That we keep falling into each other and f*cking our way towards the end of days."

~ Johanna Walser

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Wed 28 Feb - 11:18

Album Review: David Duchovny’s “Every Third Thought”

By Rob Miller
February 19, 2018

Every Third Thought - Page 4 1-660x400

Actor turned musician David Duchovny returns with his second solo album, Every Third Thought, a collection of alternative rocking tracks that show Duchovny is expanding his sound, lyrics, and voice. The X Files/Californication actor proves there’s more to him than just chasing aliens and women on T.V.

It’s been a busy year for David Duchovny: finishing up the latest season of the X Files (currently airing on FOX), finishing up his latest book Miss Subway, and now releasing his second studio effort Every Third Thought, followed by a tour of Australia. The album is a follow up to his 2015 debut Hell or Highwater and it shows the actor isn’t doing music ‘just because.’ The songs are musically driven by a talented backing band, lyrically charged by Duchovny’s heartfelt poetry, and a production that makes you want to turn up the album and cruise with the windows down.

Every Third Thought - Page 4 Untitled
Photo Credit: Consequence of Sound

The album starts off with a fuzzed out, dissonant, guitar riff on “Half Life” that gives way to Duchovny’s smooth vocals and acoustic guitar with some minor feedback. The track’s catchy refrain of “Unconditional love decays / Only fossilized hearts can break / Every piece is indivisible” illuminates Duchovny’s skill as a lyricist. The album then goes on to the title track “Every Third Thought” which is another rocker but another track with lyrics that deal with obsession (somewhat) and pondering when one will change.

The album’s lyrics deal with many topics relating to spiritual aspects and religion, love, and loss. Songs like “Jericho” which addresses a conversation between Duchovny and his father, “Stranger in a Sacred Heart” that comes off as a prayer for humanity, and “Roman Coin” which talks about the histories we have as lovers.

Duchovny shines best when his lyrics are the forefront of the songs. His mellow voice and heartfelt lyrics pose him as almost Leonard Cohen-like in dealing with issues of the heart and making us question life, ourselves, and the world around us.

Coffee House Writers
jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sat 5 May - 14:32

David Duchovny, Rose McGowan as musical provocateurs

By: Rito P. Asilo -Entertainment Editor
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 12:47 AM May 06, 2018

Every Third Thought - Page 4 T0506album-cover-600x458
David Duchovny. AP

You need not seek Dana Scully and Fox Mulder’s assistance to figure out if David Duchovny’s second album “Every Third Thought” deserves as much obsequious flattery as his acclaimed new novel, “Miss Subways.” But, if we go by how frequent its 12-song lineup has taken a spin in our multimedia player, it would be safe to say that it’s pretty good.

More than that, the recording is as significant for its lyrical beauty as it is for the irrepressible pop-rock vibe that the new sound of the 57-year-old Princeton and Yale alumnus has gracefully migrated to since he veered away from the Dylan-esque folk-and-country sensibility of 2015’s “Hell or Highwater.”

David’s explanations about the album’s themes and content could come off as too academic for public consumption—after all, how many music lovers out there are familiar with the concept of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle or Zeno’s paradox? Get our drift?

Lyrically, however, David’s songs, which are astutely framed by swirling hooks and its uninhibited energy, make a whole lot of sense—like when he talks about divorce in “Half Life” (“How can half of everything feel like less than nothing?”), obsesses over the intricacies of loving in “Every Third Thought” (“Most every thought on what I have lost can’t buy forgiveness if you don’t know the cost”), his counterintuitive musings on success in “Mo’” (“If less is more, what are you unhappy for?”), or coming to terms with his father’s death in “Stranger in the Sacred Heart.”

Every Third Thought - Page 4 T0506albums-2-600x600
David Duchovny’s second album “Every Third Thought”

The exquisite lyrical cogency becomes even more delectable when David brings down the tempo, as he does in the wistful ballad, “Maybe I Can’t”: “If you come back to me again/ I’ll make the blue sky rain/ I’ll make it snow in mid-July/ Make the midnight shine/ I’ll slap the cuffs on the hands of time/ Well, maybe I can’t, but I’ll try”).

David likes the alchemy that takes place when the disparate elements of music-making magically come together. He explains further, “What I like about lyric writing is that you never have to come down specifically on what you mean. And sometimes, the necessity of rhyming is going to push you to places you might not normally go. You’ll change your thought in order to hit that rhyme—and I love having to do that!”

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Fri 1 Jun - 7:40

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sun 23 Sep - 7:24

21 September, 2018

Vinyl's Here!

PledgeMusic
jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Thu 15 Nov - 6:22

Notable Vinyl Releases, Part Two

Today’s three are all new, indie releases.

Every Third Thought - Page 4 David_duchovny

David Duchovny – Every Third Thought
A confession, right up front: when this album landed on my desk, my first thought was, “Uh-oh. Another vanity project from an actor who maybe played some guitar back in college.” A bit of belated investigation demonstrated that my attitude was wholly unfair. Duchovny is something of a Renaissance Man, having done much more than acting (he’s authored novels, directed and so forth).

Of course none of those things in and of themselves mean that Every Third Thought (his second album) is any good. Alas, it is, and even more. Enlisting the aid of many of the same personnel used on his 2015 debut Hell or Highwater, Duchovny has crafted an album (a double LP in its vinyl configuration, which is what I have on hand) that’s successful on many levels.

There’s a kind of heartland American (but not Americana) vibe to the songs on this record, with squalling, alterna-rock guitar at the center. And Duchovny’s voice is effective in a rock context. The opening track, “Half Life” is as good as anything from acts like Goo Goo Dolls, Soul Asylum or even Gin Blossoms; in fact all three of those acts are handy touchstones to give the uninitiated a sens of what Every Third Thought sounds like.

Duchovny and his musical associates (producer-musicians Colin Lee, Mitch Stewart and Pat McCusker, all members of Boston-based band Weather) collectively have a good knack for melody and arrangement; the songs breeze by if you let them, but they stand up to closer inspection as well. The record is of a piece with its predecessor; sequence the two records one after the other and you won’t even notice the transition.

Perhaps Duchovny’s musical career is a sideline, a temporary diversion or respite from his primary endeavors. But you’d never know it from the care and effort that has clearly gone into making this fine record.

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sat 9 Mar - 14:13

Every Third Thought - Page 4 D1N-e98XQAIayxJ

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen