The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale

+14
Sabine
dreamy
cmacmd
dargina
lizlovesDD
rebel49
interlude
Duchovny
Skarlet79
Pippytu
Songbird
Pangaea
jade1013
sir
18 posters

Page 29 of 29 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29

Go down

Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale    - Page 29 Empty Re: Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale

Post by jade1013 Fri 10 Mar - 12:15

Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale    - Page 29 Thank-you-smiley-04

jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 116930
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Back to top Go down

Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale    - Page 29 Empty Re: Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale

Post by Duchovny Sat 11 Mar - 1:50

thanks

Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Number of posts : 17467
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Tue 4 Apr - 14:08

Episode 17 - Holy Cow by David Duchovny

Apr 4, 2017

David Duchovny is a female, teenage cow with a surprisingly good grasp on technology. In Holy Cow, he leads us on a journey through factory farming, Jewish stereotypes, and the Israel-Palestine conflict.

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by sir Tue 4 Apr - 14:16

Thanks
sir
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny Wed 5 Apr - 11:57

thanks
Duchovny
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Sat 30 Dec - 14:55

My Book Recommendations
bernardjan
5 hours ago

It's been a long and exciting year and we are all sorting our impressions at the eve of the new year. Some of us are relaxing, others are sick and trying to get better (like my parents), but we all wish for the smooth transition from the old to the new year.

Whatever our plans are for these last days of 2017, it's always good to spend time with our best friends—books! Here I have made a list for you, a few suggestions of the books I enjoyed and loved reading in 2017.

This list is reduced because I couldn't list all the authors and books I loved reading, so I hope they will forgive me for that. Some of them I have already recommended in my earlier post In the Making and Out Now, others I will mention in my future posts.

Without further ado, here are my book recommendations. I start with my favorite book I read in 2017 and continue in random order.

Holy Cow by David Duchovny
Elsie Bovary is a cow and a pretty happy one at that. Until one night, Elsie sneaks out of the pasture and finds herself drawn to the farmhouse. Through the window, she sees the farmer's family gathered around a bright Box God—and what the Box God reveals about something called an 'industrial meat farm' shakes Elsie's understanding of her world to its core. The only solution? To escape to a better, safer world. And so a motley crew is formed: Elsie; Shalom, a grumpy pig who's recently converted to Judaism; and Tom, a suave turkey who can't fly, but can work an iPhone with his beak. Toting stolen passports and slapdash human disguises, they head for the airport...

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by jade1013 Mon 2 Apr - 9:07

Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale    - Page 29 Celebrity-Fiction

When Celebrities Write Novels

From Bob Dylan to Morrissey, Carrie Fisher to David Duchovny, we've got the good, the bad, and the ugly of celebrity fiction

April 2, 2018  By Book Marks

Here then, in chronological order, are a taste of the critical responses to ten of our favorite works of celebrity fiction:

Holy Cow: A Modern-Day Dairy Tale    - Page 29 Holy-Cow_David-Duchovney-201x300

Holy Cow by David Duchovny (2015)

“…for the most part, Duchovny does a good job. This is a funny book, if an acquired taste. You either like the sound of a novel about a cow wanting to escape to India (because cows are sacred there), with a pig who wants to go to Israel and changes his name to Shalom as part of his understandable appreciation of all things kosher—or you don’t … it is refreshing to read a novel by a Hollywood actor who—unlike the James Francos and Ethan Hawkes of this world—is not aiming for literary cool. This prose does not squint; it is wide-eyed and playfully juvenile. Indeed, if you were being picky, you would have to wonder who this novel is aimed at—the only swear words have asterisks in, as Elsie says the film version would be for kids, though 90% of the jokes would be lost on anyone under 14. And although Elsie’s ‘memoir’ feels slight, and reads too often like a funny first draft of something more substantial, it does what all good animal novels do—it makes us think about our relationship with the other species we share the planet with.”

The Guardian

Holy Cow, in other words, does not have a plot so much as a set of high-concept scenes that barely relate to one another at all. The most coherent sections are Elsie’s polemics against factory farming, which sound very much like a PETA pamphlet. This makes sense: most likely, all chill cows oppose being slaughtered. But heavy-handed agitprop in the name of a good cause is still heavy-handed agitprop, and readers of all ages tend to hate being lectured … David Duchovny is, by all accounts, an intelligent man. He has a master’s degree from Yale, where he studied under Harold Bloom. He is a talented actor, and he clearly feels deeply, as he should, about animal welfare. But Holy Cow is one of the most half-baked, phoned-in books I’ve ever read, and it’s hard to look at it as anything but a vanity project. Of course, his fans want to believe. When it comes to this novel, they shouldn’t.”

–NPR

jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Duchovny Thu 5 Apr - 5:54

thanks
Duchovny
Duchovny
Phantom
Phantom

Emploi : Housewife
Your favorite David's role : Fox Mulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 29 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29