The House of David Duchovny [Forum]
Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello,

To access the forum, you must have registered,
then to access the entire forum you must have introduced yourself.

Looking forward to post with you.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BookCon 2015: David Duchovny on Spiritual Cows, Circumcised Pigs

2 posters

Go down

BookCon 2015: David Duchovny on Spiritual Cows, Circumcised Pigs Empty BookCon 2015: David Duchovny on Spiritual Cows, Circumcised Pigs

Post by jade1013 Sun 31 May - 15:02

BookCon 2015: David Duchovny on Spiritual Cows, Circumcised Pigs, but Not Cancer Man

By Beth Levine |
May 30, 2015

David Duchovny, best-known for his portrayals on TV of Fox Mulder on The X-Files, and Hank Moody on Californication, is finally where he originally thought he would end up: as a writer. Holy Cow, his “charming fable about dignity and tolerance, complete with anthropomorphized animals, and replete with puns, double-entendres and sophisticated humor,” (Kirkus Reviews, starred) came out in February from Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Oh, and there’s a cow named Elsie Bovary.

Duchovny, who will talk about and sign his book in the Macmillan Meeting Room (3139) today at 2 p.m., took a few minutes to speak with Beth Levine for Show Daily@BookCon.

Everyone mentions your Princeton and Yale background in English. Were you a writer before you become an actor?

That was my original ambition, the story I told myself when I was thinking about my life after school. The original concept of going to graduate school was so I could teach and write. I came to acting through writing, but it was very lonely sitting in a room by myself. At the age of 22, I couldn’t quite face that. I thought playwrights and screenwriters had more fun because they get to collaborate. When I tried my hand at that, I decided I should learn something about speaking words. I came to acting as someone who was going to write for actors.

Maybe. If I hadn’t been published, I might be now in a shadow government in high levels with a Canadian accent. Thanks to my publisher, FSG, you’ve all been saved.

I had this idea that if I were a cow, wouldn’t I try to get to India if I was trying to save myself from being eaten? It felt like an animated feature. I pitched it to Disney and Pixar. They passed. Seeing the book now, I realize that was probably a smart move.

Joy of expression, yes. But as I grow as an actor, as I feel I get better, words are less and less important to me. What’s more important is what is going on beneath the words.

I hear you’ve signed for a second novel. Can you give us any sneak peeks at that?

It’s called Bucky F@&*ing Dent. It’s set in 1978, when the Yankees overtook the Red Sox and the curse of the Babe continued.

We start shooting six episodes in June in Vancouver. I don’t know when it will air or anything about Cancer Man.

They got together in the last movie.

Well, that’s the question, isn’t it?

[Sigh.]

This article appeared in the May 30, 2015 edition of PW BookCon Daily.

PublishersWeekly.com
jade1013
jade1013
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 116930
Registration date : 2007-04-27

Back to top Go down

BookCon 2015: David Duchovny on Spiritual Cows, Circumcised Pigs Empty Re: BookCon 2015: David Duchovny on Spiritual Cows, Circumcised Pigs

Post by sir Sun 31 May - 15:12

Thanks.
sir
sir
Pix Queen

Number of posts : 100670
Your favorite David's role : Hank Moody and Fox Mulder
Registration date : 2007-05-07

Back to top Go down